Monday, September 14, 2015

Re-post: Show Off

Your website (which I maintain is a must for every writer) should offer a wealth of information about you, your relevant accomplishments, your work, purchase links and contact info. Let your website make it easy for potential readers, agents, editors and journalists to find you and know about you.

Things to include on your website:

A personalized domain name is preferred, it makes it easier for people to find you. While some domains allow you to put a personal spin on the name along with their “brand name”, having the URL longer can be confusing.

Your bio – a bio is SHORT. The bio should tell WHO you are, what your expertise is, why your topic is of interest to them, and how they can contact you. The bio should be short and sweet and only include things that would be of interest to your readers – don’t include politics, your medical history, or religion (unless they are relevant to the topic you write about); this is not a professional resume. Try to let your personality show in those few brief words.

Your book – picture of the book jacket, a brief blurb and possibly an excerpt. Include reviews (or links to reviews which you might not be able to reprint) and buy links. Whether you have one book or more, have a “media room” for each with links to a .pdf download of an industry sales sheet, copies of newspaper clippings, and a high resolution copy of your book cover.

Include a listing of appearances (both in person and virtual) so that your fans can find you. You can show this in text form with a listing of events, or use a public Google or Yahoo calendar.

List your links – especially blogs and social network sites. Include links to online work samples, online reviews, and professional affiliations. It’s a good idea to include a link to your publisher if you have one.

A blog allows you to easily post items as a public journal and is a great way to show your expertise as a writer. You might post short articles periodically on a specific theme or topic – or even short, short stories. Invite interaction by allowing your readers to post comments or questions. A website consist of (usually) multiple static pages where you offer information (as above).

My website (http://ChelleCordero.com) is on Wordpress which allows you a blog on your front page – this is a perfect spot for me to post highlights, direct people to blogs where I’ve guest posted or even just say a quick hello. I maintain a separate blog on Blogger (http://ChelleCordero.blogspot.com) where I post excerpts from my books, more detailed highlights and more about my writing and me. Some people will host guest blogs on their websites for increased traffic – I maintain a separate blog for that on Wordpress (https://ccepotourri.wordpress.com/). I cite these examples only to show you the different ways you can make your presence known on the web.


Writing exercise: Finish the following sentences (try not to think about it too long):
1: The last time I was in jail was when -----
2: We were really scared and -----
3: I looked behind the door and was speechless because -----
4: It was so much bigger than ------
5: I should have said ------



Writing prompt: Describe the clothing you are wearing right now using touch ONLY.