Friday, September 11, 2015

I am soooo confused!


…that’s the reaction a writer can evoke from a reader when they mix tenses, numbers, pronouns, or point-of-view.

It is possible to do some legitimate “time travel” in a story such as flashbacks or theoretical time machines, however when you begin a sentence in the present, speak in the past and end in the future it gets confusing. Confusing examples: I’m going downstairs and saw the fire licking the wallpaper; I was sitting while I eat; I am coming to the house and caught the babysitter talking on the phone. Better examples would be: I went downstairs and saw the fire… or I’m going downstairs and see the fire; I was sitting while I ate or I’m sitting while I eat; I’m coming to the house to catch… or I went to the house and caught.

If the events are happening at the same time, use the same tense (past, present, future). It is possible to mix tenses such as I am lucky I won the contest; in this example I am lucky (present) because of something that has already happened in the past. Present tense: I am, he is, they are; past tense: I was, he was, they were; future tense: I will, he will, they will. Different verbs have different tenses; come, came; going, went; dancing, danced; eat, ate; these are just a few samples.

Mixing pronouns and quantity is a very common mistake: Everyone (singular) thought they (multiple) should be invited should have been Everyone thought he. Some items sound confusing such as The Bill of Rights (a singular document) is important; The car’s tires (multiple items) are round; Bob and Andy are coming or Bob or Andy is coming; A student enters the classroom, but students enter the classroom; The police officer asked each driver to stay in his car, but The police officer asked all the drivers to stay in their cars. The words everybody, anybody, anyone, each, neither, nobody, someone, a person, etc. are singular and take singular pronouns (refer to Owl English). Make sure that the number refers to the actual subject and not the description: in car’s tires, “car’s” merely helps to describe what the tires belong to, test the sentence by taking out the description.

Another way to confuse a reader, a DO-NOT-DO, is switch the point of view in a sentence: A gardener should sow seeds early in the season, it’s best if you start the seeds indoors… (incorrect) —gardener is 3rd person, you is 2nd person; instead say A gardener should sow seeds early in the season, it’s best if he starts the seeds indoors… 1st person: I, we, us; 2nd person: you; 3rd person: he, she, they, them.

When you have multiple nouns in a sentence, be clear which item is the subject: I hit the window with the ball and it broke (the window or the ball? Substitute “it” with the correct noun); I hit the window with the ball and the window broke.


Writing Exercise: Write the past tense for each: jump, run, fall, tell, sleep, marry, think, feel, cry. Write the present tense for each: watched, bought, came, left, touched, bathed, kept.

Writing Prompt: Print your complete name vertically. Write one verb starting with each letter of your name.

Writing Challenge: Write a few paragraphs about any memorable event in your life, since it already happened, it should be written in PAST TENSE. Now rewrite it as if was happening NOW in PRESENT TENSE.