Friday, December 28, 2018

The things I’ve learned…



Before I begin tonight’s article, I wanted to tell you something that I have been struggling with… Living, Breathing, Writing on Kindle has been my “baby” now since May of 2009, but this will be the last installment of my Kindle Blog. The new Kindles no longer support the blog format and Kindle blogs are not available on the computer — in effect new technology has killed off the possibility of this blog reaching the masses. I’m sad, but I believe my time is better spent on other writing avenues. The good news though is that ALL of the LBW articles [from the beginning] are available on a website which I will gladly share with you; all you have to do is send an email to ChelleCordero@gmail.com with a brief review (as a subscriber) of my Kindle Blog Living, Breathing, Writing. My publisher and I will use a few of these reviews to publicize my current and future books about writing (60+ Days to Live, Breathe, & Write). Make sure you put LBW in the subject line, include your brief review with your name as it should appear under a review, and be sure to include your email address so I can send you the link to ALL 729 LBW articles. (And if you want to, please feel free to post your review on the Amazon site for Living, Breathing, Writing.)

I always liked to write. I would write “scripts” for my favorite TV shows, poems, fantasy stories, and more. I also found a way to embellish every story about things I did in my everyday life to make it sound more exciting and interesting. Because I was so vocal about my love of writing I found that I had SOME people who were supportive, some that used it as a way to hurt me, and others who were very blasé and even applauded my every word even when they hadn’t bothered to read anything I wrote. Of course the discouragement hurt, angered and annoyed me, but I never let it make me stop. Then meaningless praise, though often very well intentioned, didn’t help to educate me or encourage my striving to be better. The support was wonderful because it bolstered me whenever I came across a bump in the road and yes, there were many of those.

I had to decide what I wanted to accomplish with my writing. Did I want to write whether anyone else read it or not? Did I just want to make money doing something I love? Or did I want to experience the thrill of knowing people were reading my words? I guess it really was all three although making money at writing is not an easy task. Of course almost all of us have to make money somehow so if I could… I absolutely love seeing reviews of one of my books or a letter to the editor of a publication my writing appears in about the subject matter in my article. Of course seeing my byline is a thrill that is hard to describe (even for a writer). In the end I have two writing personas, one is as a creative fiction writer writing Passion and Suspense and the other is as a journalist with various periodicals. To be perfectly honest, the journalist things pays me more. Now some people do make a decent wage writing but very few are self-supporting without some kind of a hook (such as employment with a newspaper or magazine for example). It is hard work, but it is work you love, right?

As a writer people are going to want to take advantage of you, it’s not anything against you it’s just everyone having to look out for themselves. There was this newspaper I did a lot of articles for, the editor I worked with was terrific (we’re still friends to this day), but the simple fact was she was working under a budget and had to economize where she could. I was lucky, she tried to offer me the best pay scale, but not all editors will do that. So you have to be relatively firm when you set your prices and you have to stick with it; that doesn’t mean you can’t find room to compromise (for instance you are offered a package deal, six articles in a week or so…). Unless you have a really well-established name, the editors are not going to come looking for you but they probably would be happy to hear from you with a query and a proposal (Dear Sir, The town of ABC is rich in history and the centennial celebration is a time to show some ABC pride. I would like to write an article featuring the town square’s rich legacy and its important role in the settling of our town…).

When you are querying, whether it’s an article or full length book, be sure to follow the rules and guidelines for submissions. The editor at the receiving end will be gauging how easy you would be to work with, if you can’t be bothered to follow the guidelines the editor would figure that you would argue every editorial decision made. Having an online presence (FaceBook, Twitter, Google+, etc.) is not just wasted time, it helps to get your name out there when it’s done well and lets potential editors see you are serious about your craft. Remember to keep your public presence very professional and centered on the image you need to portray. Remember that you can keep a FB timeline private (friends only) and have a Page (always public) for your writer “stuff”.

There are going to be a lot of rejections, bad reviews and even more “no response” days. Don’t let it throw you, don’t let it stop you. Your second piece/book will help to promote your first and it goes on from there. And as a dear fellow writer friend once said to me, “Do you like every book on the shelves of your local bookstore? Not everyone is going to like your book, that doesn’t mean it’s bad.” Make friends with other writers, share experiences, new industry highlights — but don’t let someone else’s frustration get to you. Listen to every one’s advice but learn to filter through what really is helpful. Money is no guarantee so if it is possible to combine your money-making-income-source with your writing do so, at least until you have a steady income or a reliable fallback-nest-egg going on. Finally, say this to yourself out loud, WRITING IS MY JOB, I AM WORKING WHEN I WRITE, and don’t let anyone else guilt you into extra tasks (household, etc) because they think you are just playing on the computer (or typewriter).

You are good enough and you have things to say that others want to hear. So KEEP WRITING!


Writing exercise:  Rewrite this post in your own words.

Writing Prompt:  Describe your ideal writing “office”.

Writing Challenge:  Write a fictional story based on your life. Use facts and settings but create an event that may not have happened or write it having happened another way. Write up to 20-thousand words if you can.