What kind of writer are you? We’re
not talking about Plotters and Pantsers (using an outline versus writing as it
comes with no formal plan).
Are you a journalist? …a novelist? …a
poet? And there are many more types of professional writers including copywriters,
medical writers, legal and more. Writing for one audience often has different
rules than it might for another.
While most newspapers want their
journalists to write according to the AP Style Manual, there are a few that
want writers to use the publication’s own style. So long as you are able to it
is a great idea to familiarize yourself with previous editions of the newspaper
(or magazine) and follow the style they use; if you don’t have a chance to look
then rely on AP Style.
Get ahold of style guides (you can
find references and some tips online as well), read the newspaper or magazine
if possible, check out books by the publisher you plan to submit to and then
get writing.
Writing Exercise: Fill in
the blanks: 1) The last time I was in
jail _____; 2) If I saw my childhood enemy today the first thing I would say is
_____; 3) I was asked to guest star in my favorite TV show, I’ll be playing a
_____; 4) I like to go hiking up the mountain, I love the view of _____; 5)
Yesterday I was _____ and today I am _____.
Writing Prompt: Make lists
of five to ten EACH: 1) Favorite foods, 2) favorite songs, 3) favorite flowers,
and 4) favorite piece of clothing and include its color. Next to each write down
one emotion that you associate with it.
Challenge Assignment: (1) Read
through your local newspaper and study the style of writing and/or search out
AP Manual (online or in book form), Write like a journalist and report on a
bridal shower you are attending, (2) Study fiction, short stories or longer and
note the style of writing. Now write a short story about attending that same
bridal shower.

