Some of the common excuses scared but novice writers make include things like: “No one would believe my story.”; “It’s been written before.”; “I don’t have the time.”; “I don’t know how to find a publisher.”; or (this one hurts me the most) “I sent it out once and it was rejected.”
Unfortunately too many talented people never even try and never know the satisfaction and the fulfilling thrill of seeing their work published – and not because of rejection. These people set themselves up for failure by not giving themselves the chance to fail. When you don’t submit your work you can’t be told no, but you also can’t be told yes. You have to take the chance.
Why wouldn’t your story be believable? Look at life around you, look at the news headlines of the past few years. Some pretty “unbelievable” stuff happens every day. All you are doing is placing characters into the events that can and have happened in real life. We’ve had serial killers, terrorist attacks, natural disasters, intense stories of survival, admirable stories of heroism, unforgiveable stories of greed and many more potential plots.
Maybe the story has been written before – just like Romeo and Juliet and West Side Story. How many western movies have you seen about the new sheriff who comes to town and tames an unruly town, or the modern day lawman who lends a new perspective to crime solving. It’s okay to re-use basic stories, but it is your job to tell that story in a new and unique format. Put the story into a new setting, introduce interesting characters, invent a few new plots twists, throw in a different side story, add dialogue that is unique to your characters and time period and tell it your way. It’s not plagiarism, it’s creativity.
If writing that special story is important to you, then make the time, just like you expect to make the time for other parts of your life. It takes time to make excuses, use that time to write instead. Some successful writers will tell you that it took “years” to complete their manuscript. Most writers hold down full time jobs, manage a house, go to school, raise a family or juggle a myriad of other responsibilities. Write when you can, but write. If you can manage to set aside a regular block of time where you can sit at your keyboard, typewriter or composition notebook and concentrate on your story. Use every spare moment to write. Every word you put down is that much closer to your goal. It doesn't matter how much time it takes so long as you are writing.
There are several publishing routes out there ranging from the big houses to small indie presses and self-publishing. But you need a story to publish. Worry about finding that publisher later. Then investigate all of your options. My suggestion is to join writer’s groups and online forums. You will only benefit from the combined experience of all of your writing friends. Listen to a variety of opinions before you make up your mind and never sign anything without legal consult.
The saddest thing I’ve ever heard is the writer who reacts to the rejection of her one and only submission by not submitting again. Every writer gets rejected. E.E. Cummings, Rudyard Kipling, and Beatrix Potter were all rejected! The script for M.A.S.H. was rejected no less than 22 times. Just because someone doesn’t like your story doesn’t mean it isn’t good. Do you like every book you see at your local bookstore? Keep sending your work out. You never know when you might connect with the right someone.
Now, get writing...
Writing exercise: Finish these sentences:
(1) I used to go there often until the night ---
(2) The last time I was arrested for that, I ---
(3) I was surprised at their reaction when I told them that I ---
(4) It was the very last time I had ---
(5) The delicious dinner reminded me of the time ---
(1) I used to go there often until the night ---
(2) The last time I was arrested for that, I ---
(3) I was surprised at their reaction when I told them that I ---
(4) It was the very last time I had ---
(5) The delicious dinner reminded me of the time ---
Writing prompt: Describe a man who is sad – without dialogue and without saying that he is sad. Describe the expression on his face, the way he is standing and what he is doing with his hands. Do the same for a happy man and an angry man.

