Monday, February 15, 2016

Re-post: How NOT to write a query


Your query is usually the first, and sometimes last, impression you make on an editor. That being said, you DO want some of your (interesting) personality shining through – but you DO NOT want to p*ss the editor off with unreasonable demands (making demands is not a cool idea to begin with), insults such as “you’d be an idiot to pass this up”, or promises you have no way of guaranteeing such as this is the next bestseller.

“At the outset a privilege to be writing this email to you .It'd a be an honor be published by you…”

“My book is like a lot of bestselling novels, it’s guaranteed to make the News York Times Best Seller List…”

“I don’t know if you will like my story but a lot of my friends say it would make a good book…”

“I know you don’t publish (specific genre) books, but this one is too good to pass up…”

“I am in the middle of writing my first novel about (whatever). If you like this story and are willing to offer me an advance of 50-thousand dollars, I can have this completed in the next three months…”

These are actual examples of baaad query letters. Other faux-pas include addressing your letter to the wrong publisher/editor, terribly misspelling their names or calling a woman MR., etc. Some writers make multiple submissions (check the publisher guidelines to see if they accept simultaneous submissions) and address the cover letter to ALL recipients.

There is a big difference between self-confidence and being too cocky. If you’ve written a book, you are supposed to believe that what you wrote is interesting, entertaining and/or informative. Don’t sound unsure by saying “I think you may like my book…”; that is almost as much of a turn-off as saying “You’re going to love my book…”. Try to be positive without being too egotistical with “my book’s contemporary subject will be of interest to men and women who follow today’s politics…”

Filling your query letter with lots of misspellings and poor grammar won’t give your potential publisher a warm, fuzzy feeling about taking you on. Spend a bit of time checking your spelling and re-reading your cover letter to check for errors. Telling a potential publisher your expectations of a high advance, personal secretary, plans (at their expense) for a worldwide book tour and television appearances on popular talk shows are definite turn-offs.

Take the time to research the publishing company or magazine you are submitting your work to. Make sure that your work is representative of what they usually produce. If the company normally markets children’s books, then sending them a sensual adult romance isn’t terribly prudent. Check the submission guidelines and follow them as closely as possible – check the recommended word-count, format, and submission method (email, fax, postal mail). Do NOT send the entire manuscript unless the submission guidelines or an editor tells you to, stick with what they tell you to submit.

As tempting as it may be, do not use overly ornate stationary that may actually make your cover letter, synopsis or manuscript difficult to read. DON”T spray the stationary heavily with your favorite perfume and if you are a smoker, try not to seal the smoke smell in the envelope, the recipient who opens the material will not appreciate pungent odors in the small confines of their office space.

Publishers will often tell you that you can expect a reply within a specified time period. Give them that time and don’t harass with phone calls or subsequent letters; however if that time period has lapsed and you haven’t heard anything, then a simple polite inquiry is not out of line (trust me, a requested manuscript went to the spam folder and my follow-up note brought it to the publisher’s attention, it was published shortly after). Lastly, do NOT send a nasty retort to a rejection letter – word and reputation does get around.


Writing exercise: (1) Write a one sentence (maximum 15 words) promotion for your latest manuscript; (2) Write a book jacket blurb (up to 50 words); and (3) write a one-page synopsis. If you don’t have a manuscript of your own, choose any book you recently read.

Writing prompt: Finish these sentences (don’t think about it, answer quickly): 1) I thought I saw – ;2) The first time I – ;3) I was never so - ;4) When I was just - ; 5) The last time this happened – 6) Instead I chose - ;7) I opened my eyes and saw - ;8) It just wasn’t - ;9) The last time I was in jail - ;10) I woke with a start when -