Friday, March 25, 2011

Complete Editing

Many writers know how to use spell check and several of them have even learned not to trust it. Two may be a correct spelling, but if it doesn’t refer to quantity then it’s the wrong word.

Many writers also fail to put enough effort into punctuation. It’s easy enough to know that you put a period at the end of a sentence and a question mark when you are asking something. Never use more than one exclamation point no matter how much emphasis you want to make. And most of us have learned to use commas (most times) at the end of a thought and use an exclamation mark for emphasis.

Then the rest sort of gets fuzzy.

Some of the touchier subjects many editors grumble about include the use of semi-colons and colons, dashes, ellipses, multiple exclamation points, periods after or before quotation marks and even spacing after a period. Some of the rules such as spacing after a period may be flexible so long as you remain consistent; the rule nowadays is only one space after a sentence whereas “us old timers” were taught to use two.

The accepted rule for commas is to use one after each item anytime there are three or more in a row (We have cats, dogs, rabbits, and hamsters.) You don’t need to use a comma if there are only two items (It’s raining cats and dogs.) However if your list includes multiple items normally separated by commas then use semi-colons as well (We visited New York, New York; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; and Chicago, Illinois.) It’s okay to eliminate the comma before a conjunction (and), but again, remain consistent. Commas are also used to separate independent thoughts, two or more adjectives, and dependent clauses that begins sentences.

Hyphens are used to join compound words, complex numbers (twenty-seven), between numbers in fractures (two-thirds), SOME prefixes and suffixes (since there are several exceptions, look words up in a dictionary if you are not sure), and family relationships not including grand or half (son-in-law). Of course hyphens are also used when you have to break a word up between lines, always make the break between syllables.

En-dashes and Em-dashes shouldn’t be confused with hyphens even though they look similar. An En-dash is normally the width of an N. There are ways of typing a specific En-dash with alternate keys and codes; many people just use a single hyphen. Use the En-dash as a time connection (1-3 PM), don’t put spaces before or after the dash. Em-dashes are, just like they sound, the width of an M, you can use two hyphens. Use an Em-dash to indicate a sudden change or interrupted thought. Use this in place of commas or ellipsis marks (see below) when the change is abrupt.

Ellipsis marks (…) are often used to indicate a pause or missing words. If you are referring to a very well known but lengthy quote (Four score and seven years ago…) instead of entering the entire piece. When you omit one or more paragraphs within a long quotation, use ellipsis marks after the last punctuation mark that ends the preceding paragraph. If you are using ellipsis marks at the end of a sentence, you still need to use ending punctuation like a period.

Use parenthesis ( ) to add or clarify information such as showing examples. Brackets [ ] are used to insert your words or thoughts into someone else’s words in order to make the meaning clear (“I wouldn't eat that [processed meat] on a bet.”). Use quotes “ “ when you are writing what a person or thing says, punctuation marks, when applicable, go inside the quoted statements. If you are using a written quote where there is a misspelled or misused word, insert the work sic in italics and in brackets after the error (Becauze [sic] I said so.” Or “I had two [sic] go.”)

Some publications rely on the consistency found in “Style Books”. Find out if your editor demands a specific style and follow it (APA, MLA, Chicago, and Strunk and White are some of the more recognizable sources) even if it is not your normal style.

Writing exercise: (1) Which sentence gets the comma? When I turned around I saw a stranger. I saw a stranger when I turned around. (2) Which sentence ends with a period and which ends with a question mark? I didn’t want to do this / Did I want to do this (3) Put a hyphen into these words as if you were continuing them on the next line: happen, pronunciation, complete, season, dynamite. (4) Put the italicized and bracketed [sic] wherever it belongs in the following quote: “I didn’t no where I belonged. There were so many peeple in the room. I soon found a place to sat down.” (5) See how the use of a comma can change the meaning of a sentence: Say goodnight Gracie./Say goodnight, Gracie. The snow fell last night, I had to shovel./The snow fell, last night I had to shovel. (6) See how you can punctuate a few of today’s newspaper headlines to change the meanings.

Writing prompt:: Write your eulogy. What are some of shining moments? What legacy will you be leaving (or want to leave)?